Mr. Antone’s practice and experience encompasses a wide variety of intellectual property, technology, and business matters in large law firm, industry, and venture capital environments.
Mr. Antone has over 20 years experience in various legal and operational roles including Chief Intellectual Property (IP) Counsel for a telecommunication equipment and service provider, where he oversaw all aspects of IP strategy and protection for the company. He also served a Senior Vice President in charge of Research and Development and Manufacturing at the company.
Mr. Antone was also interim Chief Executive Officer for an Internet of Things (IoT) portfolio company during his tenure as a partner and IP counsel for a venture capital fund. He worked with and served on several Boards of Directors for portfolio companies involving IoT technologies (mobile phone components, wireless building automation, & controls), radar systems, optical communication equipment, computer security, virtualization software, and parallel computing software, and combustion technology and site power generation.
Mr. Antone previously practiced at an AMLAW 100, where he focused on a patent and trademark application preparation and prosecution covering various technologies including metallurgy, material science, semiconductor manufacturing, optics, optical communications, medical devices, software, and mechanical systems for corporate and university technology transfer clients. He is a professional engineer and was previously a senior engineer in the power generation industry.
Mr. Antone counsels clients on intellectual property strategy and execution including patent and trademark preparation and prosecution, as well as transactional and operational matters. Mr. Antone also works with clients to develop and implement cloud and web based services, including subscription agreements, end-user license agreements, privacy policies, and service agreements, in addition to negotiating software and technology development agreements and sales and distribution agreements.
- Served as inside intellectual property (IP) counsel for a venture capital fund and several portfolio companies developing and executing IP strategies and performing operational and transactional counseling.
- Served as interim CEO for IoT portfolio company for 18 months during a corporate reorganization
- Served on Board of Directors for portfolio companies and worked with executive teams on IP strategy & execution, business operations and counseling to raise in excess of $100 million in funding
- Developed and implemented IP protection strategy, performed US and international patent and trademark preparation and prosecution, product clearance and design around activities
- Managed outside counsel in a multi-year, multi-patent litigation
- Led multi-year licensing effort concerning a 50+ patent portfolio covering wireless technology
- Worked with CEO and the Board of Directors to develop corporate strategy and oversaw technical & IP clearance of customer, investor & public relations documentation and SEC filings for a NASDAQ listed company
- Managed 150+ person hardware and software research & development and operations teams responsible for new hardware & software product development & introduction, and technical support for a nationwide all-optical backbone communication network carrying over $500 million in revenue.
- Led ISO 9000 recertification of R&D & Manufacturing operations - zero non-conformities
- Duquesne University School of Law, Pittsburgh, PA
- Juris Doctor (cum laude)
- University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA
- Master of Science - Chemical Engineering
- Bachelor of Science (cum laude) - Chemical Engineering (major), Petroleum Engineering (minor)
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- Attorney at Law - Pennsylvania Supreme Court & US District Court, PA-Western District
- Professional Engineer (Chemical Engineering) - Pennsylvania