Mr. Jackson is Of Counsel at Marashlian & Donahue, LLC and brings with him a wealth of experience across a broad spectrum of communications issues. Mr. Jackson is an attorney, government relations professional, and telecom company executive with broad experience addressing the legal and regulatory aspects of financial, technical and marketing issues associated with the telecommunications, Internet and cable television industries. He is equally well-versed in transactional work, litigation, administrative agency advocacy and compliance.
Mr. Jackson volunteered as President of a major civic association for five years and served a one-year term as President of another large community association. He represented 27,000 households to federal, state and local government as president of the McLean Citizens Association. He was named Advocate of the Year (2010) by the Greater McLean Chamber of Commerce; Lord Fairfax (Dranesville Magisterial District) by the Fairfax Board of Supervisors; Hometown Hero (2012) by the McLean Chamber and the McLean Rotary Club.
He has often been interviewed by the media, both for telecommunications and community matters, including the New York Times, Washington Post, Wall Street Journal, Los Angeles Times, Time Magazine, NPR, as well as many local TV and radio stations, newspapers, blogs and trade press entities
- Designing a flexible plan for a large international carrier to cancel its tariffs and offer services through customer contacts
- Advising carriers, information service providers and other entities on CVAA (disability) access to advanced communications services
- Developing informal auction process & negotiated radio spectrum leases for above-market prices for Virginia public schools during economic recession; handled software licenses.
- Achieving a most favorable measurement standard for a carrier’s earnings under rate-of-return regulation, allowing that company to retain an additional $10 million in profits
- Providing advice to a company enabling it to enter cable television market directly through the purchase of a $1.2 billion cable system with 500,000 subscribers
- Advising Defense Department contractor on radio matters
- Obtaining new FCC rules governing WATS access line prices, reducing subsidies paid to support local service by 86 percent, and therefore enabling company to retain large-volume customers on more profitable switched access services
- Advising colleges as how to operate as telecommunications services aggregators for students and faculty, while avoiding regulation as a resale carrier
- Counseling Fortune 500 companies on telemarketing, debt collection and CAN-SPAM act compliance
- Representing and advising businesses and educational institutions on FCC radio license matters
- Guiding colleges on CALEA (Communications Assistance to Law Enforcement Act) application and compliance, including network reconfiguration to avoid direct application of CALEA requirements
- Negotiating radio spectrum leases for public schools and colleges, increasing revenues and obtaining free access to wireless broadband connections
- Assisting businesses and nonprofits on compliance with federal and state cyber-security laws
- Drafting service level agreements for clients in connection with the purchase of broadband services
- Preparing user guidelines for schools’ wireless networks
- Advocating intercarrier compensation matters for service providers and litigating intercarrier compensation collection claims
Mr. Jackson earned his Juris Doctor degree from the University of Minnesota in 1976, graduatingcum laude. He graduated summa cum laude from the University of St. Thomas in St. Paul, Minnesota in 1973.
Mr. Jackson is admitted to practice in the following jurisdictions: District of Columbia, Nebraska, Minnesota and Iowa
- Functioned as executive director – federal regulatory for US West (now part of CenturyLink)
- Provided telephone number policy advice to 150 rural telephone companies
- Counseled and represented trade associations for rural carriers on intercarrier compensation and Universal Service Reform
- Counseled real estate developers on acquisition and resale of bundled communications services
- Provided due diligence for investors in communications companies
- Representing telecommunications companies in federal and FCC litigation