Robert Jackson is Of Counsel at Marashlian & Donahue, LLC and brings with him a wealth of knowledge and experience across a broad spectrum of communications and technology issues. He is an attorney, government relations professional, and former telecom company executive with broad experience addressing the legal and regulatory aspects of financial, technical and marketing issues associated with the telecommunications, Internet and video distribution industries. Mr. Jackson is equally well-versed in transactional work, litigation, administrative agency advocacy and compliance.
He has more than 35 years’ hands-on experience counseling clients concerning, advocating before the FCC and state agencies regarding, and litigating, intercarrier compensation matters. Additionally, Mr. Jackson has guided clients on both regulatory and GAAP accounting and cost allocation issues and has testified as an expert witness on telecommunications and utility regulation.
Mr. Jackson has handled common carrier and private radio matters for both domestic and foreign clients for 40 years. He served on the initial regulatory team for what is now Verizon Wireless. Mr. Jackson actively assists clients with matters before the FCC’s Office of Engineering and Technology, including handling experimental licenses and equipment authorizations, as well as coordinating with the United States Army and Navy to permit client testing of new radio technology on military installations.
In addition to his practice of telecommunications and technology law, Mr. Jackson volunteered as President of a major civic association for five years and served a one-year term as President of another large community association. At the present time, he serves as a Virginia member of the Citizens Advisory Committee to the Transportation Planning Board for the Greater Washington Area and as a McLean Citizens Association board member. Mr. Jackson has received several awards for his community service, including being named; Lord Fairfax (Dranesville Magisterial District).
He has often been interviewed by the media, both for telecommunications and land use/transportation matters, including the New York Times, Washington Post, Wall Street Journal, Los Angeles Times, Time Magazine and NPR, as well as many local TV and radio stations, newspapers, blogs and trade press entities.
- Serving as regulatory and litigation counsel to a leading toll free origination service carrier; advising that client on the introduction of an Internet-based, toll free connection service on an unregulated basis
- Representing and advising businesses and educational institutions, including a national research university, on FCC radio license matters
- Assisting businesses and nonprofits on compliance with federal and state cyber-security laws and telecommunications transactions
- Counseling Fortune 500 companies on telemarketing, debt collection and CAN-SPAM act compliance
- Advising a Defense Department contractor on radio matters
- Negotiating radio spectrum leases for public schools and colleges, increasing revenues and obtaining free access to wireless broadband connections
- Drafting service level agreements for clients relating to the purchase of broadband services
- Advocating intercarrier compensation matters for service providers and litigating intercarrier compensation collection claims
- Advising carriers, information service providers and other entities on CVAA (disability) access to advanced communications services
- Providing advice to a company enabling it to enter cable television market directly through the purchase of a $1.2 billion cable system with 500,000 subscribers and handled numerous due diligence investigations for many clients
Mr. Jackson earned his Juris Doctor degree from the University of Minnesota in 1976, graduatingcum laude. He graduated summa cum laude from the University of St. Thomas in St. Paul, Minnesota in 1973.
Mr. Jackson is admitted to practice in the following jurisdictions: District of Columbia, Nebraska, Minnesota and Iowa
- Functioned as executive director – federal regulatory for US West (now part of CenturyLink)
- Provided telephone number policy advice to 150 rural telephone companies
- Counseled and represented trade associations for rural carriers on intercarrier compensation and Universal Service Reform
- Counseled real estate developers on acquisition and resale of bundled communications services
- Provided due diligence for investors in communications companies
- Representing telecommunications companies in federal and FCC litigation